The Workermonkey

     

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

At a meeting 

I look at the time on the out-of-focus projected screen. 2pm. Only 3 more hours of sitting through this meeting then I can head home. I’m at a expert workshop that will take part in defining the future conservation priorities for the state of Florida for the next 10 years. You would think I would want to be here. In a way I do though. I think back to being completely unappreciated at my old jobs, and realize that now I'm actually in somewhat of a position where I matter. This is what I wanted.

I didn’t really belong there anyway. I’m no expert on marine systems. I gave my presentation about my job early in the morning, now I’ve just had to sit through the rest. I find some things interesting and pay attention at times. Others are not so. Mostly just people talking to be heard. Everyone’s trying to sound intelligent. I speak up about a few actions to take toward global climate change, for that’s something I can contribute too. “What can Florida do?”, I say. “Its not Florida, it’s the nation, even the world”. Everyone agrees because I state something that’s probably already on everyone's mind. Some side conversations sprout out about the “current administration” and how much it sucks for the environment. I feel a sense of belonging with the other participants in the room. Its warming and hopeful. We are one in ideals. Then a minute later the feeling of helplessness creeps in and we all realize theres nothing we really can do and that warm feeling is replaced by actuality. Climate change is too big of an issue for a group of 12 people in one state. Even if Florida did everything perfect, it wouldn’t even dent the problem. Our talk turns to more retroactive discussion about preventive measures. More like bracing for the storm.

Coastal development is another issue. Some joke about population control. Our tasks seem impossible at times but we struggle through it. County ordinances, landowner incentives, public education - we suggest, but we all know we are fighting an uphill battle. 95% of the population doesn’t think like we do. They don’t care or even want to know the truth of their actions. Staying positive in this field is as hard as finding solutions to it. Hope dives in and out of reality. 2 more hours to go. I get up and grab another piece of cake and some coffee. The only time I ever drink coffee is at these damn meetings. The stimulant in my body gives me an easy feeling and I try to think hard about the issues. Ok, we need practical solutions and strategies. “Well, how about tying climate change into other well known issues. For instance every time gas prices shoot up to $ 1.20 something you hear all this talk on the radio or tv about sustainability and renewable energy. Its all the same thing. If we can get the people to realize its all the same issues (i.e.- climate change is caused by green house gasses which is created from emissions, which is created from buring gas). Promoting renewable energy will avert many problems at once. It just gives us more ammo to shoot at the people”. An older lady across the table smiles a nice smile at me, and the conversation moves on. I didn’t really get my point across, but I said something, and that’s good enough for me. At this point in my career I'm still getting used to talking at meetings. I lose myself when I start to talk, and do not convey my thoughts clearly. Frustrating, but understandable, I’m the youngest person in the room by far. “What we are really talking about here is public education”, the facilitator clarifies. Yup, we have to get the public to care more. Another thought passes through my head but this time I do not voice it. What we really need is to change the politics by changing the legislation. And that’s done by voting- again back to the public. The caffeine begins to wear off and I drift a little out of it. How do you get people to care? And more importantly- how do you get people to care, before its too late? Five o’clock, time to drive the 2 hours home. I’m skipping out of the meeting a day early. I gave my presentation, I'm no longer needed. Now on to more urgent issues, what’s for dinner? I think about irony on the road home.


7 comments

keep at it bud, the public/semipublic speaking will come. it was hard, in classes of 80 here to participate at first cuz you dont want to sound like an ass. but it gets easier. every little time helps. and the more you say, perhaps the more people will listen.

i heard an interesting theory the other night: that the majority of america is really in the independents, but that they are lost because independents generally don't have a strong platform as a party and dont voice their opinions as much, and that's why america seems so polarized. and maybe these people dont vote. further, democrats need to stop being so damn reactive, and must start being proactive. face it, you're not going to win an election when the only platform people recognize is that you're anti-republican. one thing republicans have is a clear platform: our religion is the right one and we're going to use it to decide morals and rule you. this is horrible, but a simple reactionary plan won't help either. that's why we need voices, and new opinions. start a conversation, don't respond to one.

By Blogger josh, at Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:10:00 PM  

"and the more you say, perhaps the more people will listen."

Thats part of the problem though. I hate when people just go on and on just so they can be heard. Say your point and move on is my fashion. I do notice that alot of these prominent people (like professors,Phd's, directors)talk alot and listen less. I hope that is not a quality i have to aquire in order to become successfull. I want to be able to talk my point with the fewest words possible.

By Blogger Brancibeer, at Wednesday, April 20, 2005 4:38:00 PM  

true, though for me it's more of talking more in different venues, and therefore exposing your ideas to different people. i agree repeating the same info to the same people becomes monotonous and pointless.

By Blogger josh, at Wednesday, April 20, 2005 7:07:00 PM  

isn't that the point of advertising? repeating your point until people listen and buy your product?

the irony isn't lost me, i know exactly what you're talking about.

By Blogger Supreme Monkey Overlord, at Thursday, April 21, 2005 1:23:00 AM  

At 1:23 am, i would hope you you know what im talking about.

By Blogger Brancibeer, at Thursday, April 21, 2005 2:49:00 PM  

johnny weed, putting the piss & vinegar back into the workermonkey! i love it.

i got to side with neutral here. i've looked into this arguement before. the world hasnt warmed up enough yet to get out of the error range of the computer models. conculsion is inconclusive any fucking way you look at it. i dont care what the data says, its about the error anaylsis that really says anything about the data.

besides, we dont have to worry about shite. in a few years china, india and the rest of the asian countries are going to make the US look like an angel when it comes to pollution.

on another note, computer models are tweaked to shit! trust me i know. example: my model exhibits some 'bad' behavior in certian areas so i simply turn off the parts that make it go bad and turn them back on when i'm in the good area. its justified by physics, its simple and the data looks great! ha ha ha.

By Blogger ron, at Monday, April 25, 2005 12:16:00 PM  

Comeon Johnny Weed! Who are you trying to fool- Others or your own common sense? The models are good (although none are perfect i'll admit), but the evidence is staring us in the face. I dont know where you got that info, but the majority of the credible scientific community will tell you that human release of greenhouse gasses has a negative effect on global climate change. We are unaturally pumping billions of tons of CO2 and methane into the atmosphere at an alarming rate. Common sense tells us that this will fuck up the earths natural carbon cycle, therebye having an effect on warming. Who needs stats to make you realize that?

By Blogger Brancibeer, at Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment
Blog Lore

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Poll
News
Comics
Sports
Culture
Blogs Of Note
Archives

current
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
March 2013
August 2013
September 2013
May 2014
March 2015
May 2015
January 2016